Monday, April 19, 2021

red-eye, -------part 2

NOTE***This will make no sense if you have not read Part 1, so read it first.

Going to Mexico or Hawaii, I have taken early morning flights and  I may as well have just forgotten about sleeping.  To get to that 5 or 6 am take off, it was necessary to be at the airport when it was long before morning's first light.   Why anyone would call it "top o' the morning", I do not know. It is night to me and I really wish they would have had a red eye-- I would have gotten some sleep and more beach time in the tropics.  Is that the glutton coming out again? (You had to have read part 1 to understand.)   

When we have a driver, it is waiting around for the driver to come and the short ride to Sacramento is not enough time to merit the title "sleep."  Staying near SFO or Oakland makes for a "doze off" only with need to coordinate the shuttle ride and check-in times.  Should have taken that red eye. 

On the other side of the coin,  arrivals can be in the pitch dark of the night.  After arriving in several strange cities in the dark of night,  I am wondering about taking those day flights that appear so convenient.  Yes, I was able to sleep the night away in the comfort of a top notch hotel and have that leisurely breakfast and extra cup of coffee in the morning before the flight; how did  such little pleasures wreck such total disorientation when I arrived at my new "favorite" destination.  From the air, blue runway lights look the same in any city--some just have more blue than others.  Maybe it wasn't my fault; maybe they didn't have a different flight time--it is possible.  That was really true for my last strange--not odd, but new--city.   It sure helps to have someone waiting with your name on their sign as you exit the terminal to make that afternoon flight a delight.  Did I just loose a complete day of my vacation by flying during the day in the wrong direction?

Sleep may be difficult if one spends the day sleeping on a plane. Should have taken that red-eye!
   
MORE HISTORICAL TALES OF TRAVEL 

No comments:

Post a Comment