Sunday, November 10, 2013

The red nose, red eyed dog of Sandy Bay; AKA Rudolph

What was it said about encountering a strange animal --- ie, bear, mountain lion, strange dog-- look them in the eye or make no eye contact?  Obviously, I have forgotten and so this tale took place.

During my birthday lunch at the Blue Bahia Grill on the beach at Sandy Bay, we watched the people and animals walk up and down the beach.  On occasion one of the animals would--oh how should I put it?--not find the restroom but use the beach.  Surprisingly, it was always at the water’s edge so the slight wave action  caused a flushing effect.  There, I said it!

After having lunch,  I suggested we continue up the beach in the opposite direction from our apartment. We passed several docks and then decided to wade into the water.  As we were talking and leaning on the dock, I spied a dog taking itself for a walk and, well, doing what the other dogs did.  Here is where the weird started.

As the dog turned around and looked up, we made eye contact.  I made a tisk-tisk sound and the dog started trotting toward us.  Not being a doggie person, I turned around  and tried to ignore the dog--but he kept coming.  He started swimming in the shallow water toward the dock.  Fast swimmer, really fast swimmer.  It appeared he was going to come under the dock to us.  Oh no!--more eye contact--That had to be a mistake.

Not trusting what kind of dog he was--smiling or bite happy, I asked Sweetie to make a hasty retreat to the dock.  We went to the far end of the dock where the water was from 5 to 6 feet --and the dog kept coming. More eye contact, “Go away doggie. No.”

He swam out to the end of the dock but couldn’t use the ladder because some people were on it, so he swam back to the beach. Good doggie--stop looking at him--couldn’t. I was grateful  for the new distance between us but I was so curious. That was not the end of the red nosed, red eyed dog of Sandy Bay.

I kept watching where the dog was not wanting any surprise attack.  Rudolph (my name for him) trotted along the beach a bit in the direction of our apartment...did he know where we were staying?  I remembered hearing one should never trust a smiling dog.

Suddenly he stopped at the next dock and began swimming out into the water.  I was even fearful that Rudolph might drown since only his head was above the water.  He swam all the way to the steps in the deeper water, climbed up on the dock and then continued to an upper observation deck and sat for a bit.  After an elapsed time, he entered the water again and went back to shore. 

That dog continued the process up the beach at each dock until he was out of view.  Rudolph had a collar so I guess he must have a family, who knows.  Does he take himself for a walk and swim each day?  Was he coming by just to be friendly or was I going to be the bite of the day?   Oh well, I made it through this many years and didn’t want any surprises. 

If we see Rudolph again, I will write an update. May even make friends with him.  That will be another day of paradise in the Bay Islands on Roatan.

1 comment:

  1. PS: Rudolph lives up the beach at a house. I have seen him in the yard just sitting and playing guard dog. I know he is just waiting to go swimming so he can join the Honduran Olympic team.

    ReplyDelete