Monday, November 11, 2013

Red Eye, Top 'o the Day, or Afternoon Delight? part I

Glutton.  That is the one word that has described my attitude about the amount of vacation time I have in a particular place has been.  Unfortunately, my description while not "regularly" employed has grown to Mega Glutton and it applies to everywhere we go.  The boots on the ground time in any particular place has really mattered; I tried to stretch and create time,  BUT things may be changing. 

For many years, I thought the only way to travel was at night. Wanting to savor every possible moment in  paradise, my favorite midnight red-eye has been  from SFO to Roatan's Juan Manuel Galvez International Airport.  Our TACA flight would  leave sometime shortly after midnight.  Following  a full week of work, anytime after midnight early Saturday is time to sleep; so  sleepily, we made our way to assigned seats and snuggled in to   our  tiny blankets and wafer sized, industry- standard  pillow. At that hour, the hospitality of the crew in offering food and drink was appreciated but somewhat lost on the sleepy souls.  As the engines hum their lullaby, sleep comes rapidly and rejuvenation quickly on its heels.  

The announcement of arrival in San Salvador, the first leg of the adventure,  awakens me as beams of  light begin to fill the cabin.  Upon landing,  I locate the closest restroom and change from my cold weather clothes to shorts, top, and sandals that have been stowed away in my carry-on ready to jump-start our island experience.  Touch down; pay entrance fee; get your bags.  Now is the time to get the rental car and head to West End or West Bay for the first Salva Vida and toast to a great trip at 11AM.  No day wasted  by travel and it's only noon by the time we have checked into our new home for the next week or so.  

Throughout the years, there have been other airlines offering flights to Roatan and some we have tried, but none meets the criteria of arriving bright and early~~gently squeezing every moment one can relish from  tropical paradise.

Historical tale from 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment