Thursday, April 11, 2013

Crepes, the retro dinner (found it!)

facebook.com/marianwattel

Bored with cooking and food, store wondering was the event of the afternoon.  Well, Safeway has a great sweet chili sauce in the meat department.  Looked down and saw some lovely large cooked shrimp (oxymoron).  They were beheaded, shelled, and ready for me to take home. . . to do exactly what, I wasn't sure.

No time to find the very old--70's --cookbook.  Probably tossed it (sinful, parish the thought)!  Laptop was on kitchen island.  Popped it opened and quickly had the help of Alton Brown and several other masterful chefs.

First I made the crepes.  They were not the size of the ones at Grand Luxxe, but they would do nicely.  Oh, I remember that inverted pan we once used to make crepes.  Not this time, it is long gone.  I made them in my nice little pan; dumped them when done on one side onto the skillet to finish up.  Slick process.

Next chopped the  onions.  Didn't have the right mushrooms, but you can always make something smaller--doesn't work in the reverse.  ADD more butter. 

With that underway, the sauce began.  MORE butter and some lovely cream.

Shrimp added, cheese too.

As I assembled the lovely pairs into their dishes, there seemed to be so much.  Oh dear, guess it will have to be leftovers  or senior dinners in the freezer.

Unusual as it may seem, I cleaned up the cooking utensils as the crepe pairs were maturing in the oven.  It was a break from my usual habit, but I guess it did not hurt anything.

Lastly came the eating.  YUM!  Too much for one sitting.  Oh, and the Parmesan zucchini sticks were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment